Thursday 5 May 2011

Growing a Jungle!

Growing a jungle is hard work! And I'm running out of time which is scary. (For those who haven't read previous posts, I am talking about my final major project where I have decided to try and knit a sort of jungle---which is huge!!!) Over two months seems like ages at the beginning, but now I only have two weeks or so left and I'm seriously considering hiring someone to knit for me!
I have lost count of the number of finger knits I have done- each three metre length takes half an hour, which is fine...only I need six metre lengths which is an hour and quite hard work on the hands after a while. Not only do I need these knits for the drapey bits, but I have also had to make loads for the rag rug I have made which eats up these knits like there is no tomorrow!!

The whole thing has been moved inside (from my photo shoot in the woods) so I can play around with the placement of things and see how it might look in the exhibition. It is far from finished but here is what I have so far:

 
This is before I completed my rug so a lot of these knitted vines are now in the rug- meaning I have to re-knit them all!!

 
I'm not entirely sure where to put this lovely piece of shibori, either hanging down or woven into something or creeping up the walls...decisions decisions...

 
I have done some little shibori bits and embedded them into my rag rug to add other textures and shapes. I was going to stuff them with wadding but it looked a bit off with white underneath- instead I ripped up blue roll and mashed it together with water and green paint. Then rolled it into little balls and stuffed it into the bubbles. As it has dried, it has gone quite hard which is a nice contrast to the very woolly bits of the rug. (And feels very strange to stand on!)

 
The final finished rug- the bit missing in the middle is intentional, I didn't want it to be a squared shape so just cut a bit out (meant less work as well). What you don't see in the picture is the depth of the rug. Everyone who walks past stops to knead and touch the rug, it is like working with a whole group of cats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment