Thursday 12 April 2012

Fabric Paper Vase

To demonstrate to my friends the versatility of fabric paper, I decided to try and make something 3D- moulding the wet paper around a form and leaving it to dry. I wasn't sure how well this would work but I am pleasantly pleased with the results.



I quickly made my fabric paper with a slight gouache wash, some doilies and some fancy yarns and then draped it over a clingfilm covered vase- securing it in place with an elastic band. It naturally formed folds and wrinkles and has quite a loose feel to the drape.
Interestingly, the blue gouache paint has disappeared in some places, leaving random striping in the creases which adds to the overall effect.

Once dried I removed it from the vase (holding my breath in case it collapsed!), set it upright...and it stayed!!!



The use of the doilies and fancy yarns is slightly lost in the folds of the vase, until you hold it up to the light, where the doilie pattern can be clearly seen. I am half tempted to put a candle in it to see what it looks like but I'm a bit worried it will catch alight!! If I work up the courage I will let you know!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Beth. What a great idea! Put the candle in the glass vase and put the vase back in the fabric paper vase. x

    ReplyDelete