Thursday 3 May 2012

Todays' Lesson: Applique

I have been a very good girl today and spent HOURS in the workshop doing various things. What a busy little bee I have been. Today's lesson was on applique using the sewing machine, and some of the samples we were shown were amazing. Applique literally means to apply something to a surface for those that don't know, so just sewing one piece of fabric to another is considered applique.





I also spent some of the afternoon working on heat transfer pieces- although I'm not entirely sure of their success as the colours don't really show up on the yellow lining fabric, and they show up even less in these photos so I do apologise. Maybe if you squint....




I really like the bottom one though and might just leave it as a heat transfer final sample without doing much more to it. Reminds me a of a kind of sixties print.
I have started to embellish some of the prints using free machine embroidery...

 
As you can see it wrinkles the fabric slightly, possibly because it has a high sheen and is very slippery even though I had it in an embroidery hoop. Never mind, it still looks quite cool!

Returning to some previous samples, I have been working on embellishing my pin tucked sample...


 
Which is beginning to look really lovely, although curls round at the edges which is really annoying!!
Also, I can't remember if I ever showed you the finished stitch sample that I was working on over the Easter holidays, so I thought I would show it to you (possibly again) now.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment