Thursday 11 September 2014

A Sock Teddy Bear


Did you know that the 9th September is National Teddy Bear Day? Well neither did I until I was casting my eye over interesting facts on the Internet, looking for inspiration for Girl Guide meetings. The other leaders liked the idea of using NTBD as a way of easing in to the new term and we came up with the idea of making teddy bears out of socks.


As the slightly more crafty one, I was volunteered to research into the easiest pattern to make, especially as it had to be suitable from ages 10-14 and be 'make-able' for those who have never done any sewing to those who might be slightly more practised.


I found this great tutorial on another blog, Rawr, and having set myself the task of making an example bear for the girls to kind of follow, discovered how easy it was to transform one sock into a new friend.
The pattern ingeniously uses the different parts of the sock to help shape the bear- who knew that the shaped heel section could make such a pert bottom!!??!!


For me, the best bit about the tutorial was that the owner of the blog had help from her cat, Boo. No such luck in my case- Ziggy was off on an adventure and Kit made sure to keep his distance from my creation. (It's behind you!)


Never mind, hopefully the girls will like this project more than the cats do!!


No comments:

Post a Comment