Saturday 27 February 2016

Log Cabin Squares


Spring is coming!! We have Snowdrops and Bluebells in the garden making things look pretty amongst the green. It is so nice to have green back again, I get very bored with all of the damp browns and greys. The first few buds of green, little fresh shoots coming out of the soil are always very exciting.



Inside we still have our Primroses left over from the Chinese New Year celebrations. They aren't quite as red now, the colour is fading, but they are still adding a pop of colour to our sitting room.



In the kitchen, my faithful and highly fruitful Christmas Cactus is doing it's thing, flowering like crazy. It is the best plant purchase I have ever made I think as it flowers about three times a year and needs barely any looking after. My other Cacti (Cactuses?) have never lasted so long or flowered so well. The colour is just beautiful and I love the shaping of the flowers as well, kind of like little dragon heads with a tongue sticking out at the end.




But anyway, enough flower chat. I have finished all of the squares for my log cabin blanket!!! It was so exciting laying them all out, and a little bit worrying in case I had done a huge boo-boo and got my number of alternate squares wrong. Thankfully there were just the right amount of both.


I just love the colours in this blanket, and when the hot/cold combos line up and you get the blocks of light and dark, it is just so exuberant and well, happy. Which is good as that's what the whole idea is about.


So, having laid all of the squares out and played with how they work together, I could stat stitching them together. I went with the invisible stitching where you just catch the top loops of the final round and use the same colour of thread so it blends in and creates an invisible seam.



Eventually, a couple of hours later all squares were stitched together and all ends were stitched in. Huzzah!!! It immediately makes you want to start a new one, with slightly different colours- perhaps a blue one with 16 shades of blue and bright orange popping centres, or a pastel one maybe for a nursery? How about a monotone one with shades of white, grey and black? Ahhhh too much to think about. For now I will concentrate on the edging and try to figure out which colours I should use.


No comments:

Post a Comment