Monday 16 October 2017

Knitting & Stitching Show


On Sunday The Mother and I had a fantastic day out in London at The Knitting & Stitching Show held at Alexandra Palace (or Ally Pally to its friends). There are many coaches who run day trips there which is handy because the train is not direct and there aren't many places to park. Ally Pally is a popular place to go without the fantastic shows there as it has panoramic views over the city, an ice rink and is also a historical site in itself.


We haven't been to the show in a while as October is a busy birthday month for our family and usually there is a birthday weekend at the same time as the show which means we are unable to go. I didn't take too many photos as it was too exciting to keep stopping and snapping, but there were a few images I did snap, like of this amazing display of Indian ribbons. Sadly I didn't feel I could justify buying them as I wouldn't be able to cut into them (it would be sacrilegious) and they were a little large to put on a stitchscape. Aren't they beautiful?



There are three halls (and a corridor) of beautiful deliciousness. The largest hall also has a beautiful stained glass window at one end, and a giant pipe organ at the other. I admit that the excitment of the day caused me to go a little mad with the money card, but I feel it was totally justified as I am now the proud owner of many new and beautiful things. Plus I can sort of put it under business expenses....can't I?





Please feel free to drool over this gorgeous wonderousness! So many textured and beautifully patterned fabrics that my head is spinning with new ideas! There are small print Christmas themed fabrics with sparkly gold bits which might help me create more Christmassy themed 'scapes, there are little texture prints like sand and beach rocks, skies with clouds, autumn leaves and autumnal trees, and there are geometric shape prints which give me opportunities to add my embroidery stitches too.
I also have added to my collection of Japanese print fabrics which glitter with the gold lines around the flowers (they are seriously pretty). Plus(!) I have a new stash of Kaffe Fassett fabrics! Whoopee! I love the variety of colours and patterns and shapes in his designs. I have kept with an autumnal theme with one pack, and went for a lovely greeney fat quarter selection because it included....


This gorgeous fruit basket (with lettuce) print! I don't know that I would be able to cut into it really but it embodies Fassett in my opinion- has anyone else seen photos of the fireplace in his house full of ceramic lettuces?


I have also been thinking about adding different textures to my 'scapes so have invested in some beautiful hand dyed cotton scrims, and hand dyed jute. I'm especially thinking of stormy seascapes? What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment